Marriage is perhaps the most complex and challenging of all relationships. There are many benefits for those who make this commitment. However, with divorce rates at about 50%, many couples discover that they aren’t equipped to deal with the challenges they face in marriage, particularly during the early years.
The good news is that couples who receive premarital counseling can greatly increase their relationship satisfaction and significantly reduce their risk of divorce.
I am a certified Facilitator and Seminar Director in the PREPARE/ENRICH (P/E) program, an evidence-based approach to premarital assessment and counseling. Built on a solid research foundation, the P/E has been refined over the years to become one of the most effective premarital counseling programs.
The goal of premarital counseling is to help you prepare for marriage in the following ways:
- Explore strength and growth areas
- Strengthen communication skills
- Manage conflict using the Ten Step Model
- Identify and manage major stressors
- Develop a more balanced relationship
Premarital counseling involves two phases:
- An assessment phase focuses on giving you a better understanding of your relationship dynamics the issues that are important to relationship health. This phase typically 1 initial session with me, completion of a customized online assessment, and 1 feedback session with me. Most couples enjoy the process of completing the assessment and having a feedback session. It’s fun to explore and examine your relationship within a framework that encourages awareness of thoughts, feelings, constructive dialogue, and meaningful understanding of each other.
- A skills phase focuses on helping you develop proven relationship skills that lead to action and growth. You will learn how to communicate more effectively with each other so that you can improve your relationship and continue to understand, connect, and relate in healthy ways. You will learn and practice skills that will serve your relationship now and in the future. It typically takes 6 sessions to cover the core relationship skills.
Couples who participate in premarital counseling will receive a couple’s report that summarizes the results of their online assessment. Couples also will receive a couples workbook with over twenty exercises designed to increase the knowledge and key skills proven to build stronger marriages.
You can view video testimonials from other couples who participated in the P/E program.
To schedule an appointment for premarital counseling, please call me at (254) 751-1550.